Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Accepted!

Success!  After months of preperation and planning I have finally been accepted by AFS Japan.  I am now planning on studying abroad in Japan for six months come August.  As a junior at Lynden High School in Washington this is the last year that I would be eligible for this program, so the fact that I got accepted means even more to me.  I have been to Japan once before and simpley feel in love with the whole country.  I am extremley excited to be able to LIVE there for half a year!  Those of you that know me will testify to how excited I am, for those of you that don't know me as well or are just tuning in to my blog, my name is Jennifer Rienstra and I love Japan.

My passions include art and history.  The main reason why I am so thrilled to be going to Japan is that it is a country that has very unique history and art styles and it also places a high importance on having a good grasp of both subjects.  Actually, Japan places a very high importance on being top-notch in all areas of academia.  I beleive that this trip, besides being a great cultral experience,will allow me to become a more well-rounded person.  The soceity of Japan is so different from rural Washington, that almost everything there will be a new experience that will force me to have a fresh outlook on life.  I am very excited to learn more about their fascinating culture and to be able to use their age-old in my own life.

While I am there I hope to serve their country to the best of my ability.  I know that AFS is foremost an academic program, but secondly it is a service program.  I hope that my presence and work while I am there will help to rebuild their terrorized communties and bring hope to families in need. 

The only thing that I still need help with for my application process is that I need to raise $12,000 to pay for tutition and the cost of living for the six months while I am there.  It may seem like a lot at first glance I know, but when you think about how that fee includes tuition, airfare, food, lodging, and other nessasary costs for six months, it makes total sense.  I do not have $12,000 in my bank account however.  That is where i am going to ask for your help.  I am currently working as many hours as I can and planning fundraisers right and left.  However, this will most likely still not help me raise all of the money.  I would apprietate any support you would give whether it is monetary or just moral.  Letters are still nice. :)  If you would like to help out you can either click the ChipIn button below or send money to my home address. (1290 Garden Circle, Lynden, Washington, 98264)

Thank you for everyone wishing me well,
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment